Frequently Asked Questions

Alliance of Chemical Engineering Students (UP ACHES)
Brotherhood of Noble Engineers (UP BNE)
Civil Engineering Executive Organization (CEO)
University of the Philippines Engineering Students’ Guild (UPESG)
UP Civil Engineering Society (UPCES)
UP Engineering Radio Guild, Los Baños Chapter (UP ERG LB)
UP Society of Agricultural Engineering Students  (UP SAGES) 
UPLB Engineering Society (UPLB EngSoc)
UPLB Industrial Engineering Students’ Organization (UPLB IESO)
UPLB League of Agricultural Engineering Students (NG)
UPLB Society of Chemical Engineering Students (UPLB SChemES)
UPLB Society of Electrical Engineering Students (UPLB SELES) 

A student must be officially registered in order to receive credit for course
work. No student shall be registered in any subject after one week of regular
class meetings have been held, unless the Dean, on the basis of his scholastic
record, permits his registration; provided, that if registration is made outside the
regular registration period indicated in the University calendar, the student shall
be subject to fine for late registration; provided further, that special students
may register at any time without the payment of the fine for late registration
subject to other regulations of the University. Students may register for particular
subjects within a semester when permissible under the system of instruction
adopted by the college. [Art. 337, UP Code]

WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM. No student shall be registered in any
other college of the University System without the permission of the dean of
the college in which he is primary enrolled. A UPLB Form is accomplished for
cross-registration purposes. A student who requests permission to cross register
for courses in another college should first complete his registration
(including payment of fees) in the college where he is primary enrolled. The
total number of units of credit for which a student may register in two or more
colleges in this University should not exceed the maximum number allowed in
the rules on academic load. [Art. 339, UP Code]

TO ANOTHER INSTITUTION. The University of the Philippines System gives
no credit for any course taken by any of its students in any other institution
unless taking such course was duly authorized by the Chancellor upon recommendation
of the Dean concerned. The written authorization is to be recorded
by the University Registrar and should specify the subjects authorized. [Art.
340, UP Code]

For undergraduate students, the academic load is a maximum of 18 non laboratory
units or 21 units including laboratory except in programs where the
normal semestral load is more than 18 units. However, a graduating student
with very good academic record may be permitted to carry heavier load in his
last year.

During the summer session, the normal load is 6 units, but in justifiable
cases, the Dean may allow up to 9 units. Application forms for overload are
available at the Office of the College Secretary.

A student should not register a course when its prerequisite course(s)
had not been satisfied.

During each semester/summer, the college secretary is required to cancel
all registered courses whose prerequisite(s) have not been passed or
without previously approved waiver of prerequisite(s).

A student may add or cancel a course or transfer to another section on or
before the last day of late registration. All transfers to other classes shall be
made only for valid reasons. Changes in matriculation shall be effected
through the prescribed form (UP Form 26) and must be approved by the
Dean and submitted to the Registrar. A fee shall be charged for each change
of matriculation; except in cases when a class is dissolved or when a change
in class schedule is duly authorized by the Registrar. Failure to submit the
approved application form to the Registrar or College Secretary within one
week after the last day of registration shall be a basis for invalidation the application
for change of matriculation.

Any student who, for unavoidable cause, absents himself from class must
obtain an excuse slip from the Office of the College Secretary . The approved
excuse slip must be presented to the instructor(s) concerned not later than
the second class session following the student’s return. In addition, a
medical certificate must be secured from the UPLB Health Service in case the
absence is due to illness. Certification of illness by residence heads, roommates,
dorm owners, etc. are inadmissible because they are not doctors.

Illnesses attended elsewhere causing absences from classes shall
be reported to the UPLB Health Service within three days after the absences
have been incurred. Medical Certificate for the above illnesses as well
as for other illnesses of which the Health Service has no records are issued
only after satisfactory evidences have been presented to the Health Service.

Excuses are for time missed only. All work covered by the class during
the absence shall be made up to the satisfaction of the instructor within a reasonable
time from the date of absence.

Time lost by late enrollment shall be considered as time lost by absence.

When the number of hours lost by absence of a student reaches 20 per-cent of the hours of the scheduled work in one subject, he shall be dropped from the subject. However, a faculty member may prescribe a long-er attendance requirement to meet special needs. The table below gives the number of absences allowed before the 20% absence rule applies:

          NOTE: For combined lecture and laboratory, the number of absences allowed before the 20% absence rule should be determined for each course. 

          If the majority of the absences are excused, the student shall not be giv-en a grade of “5” upon being dropped. But if the majority of the absences are not excused, he shall be given a grade of “5” upon being dropped.

A student who decides not to register in a subsequent semester must
apply for a leave of absence (LOA) beforehand. A student who withdraws
during the semester must also apply for LOA. A student who withdraws from
the college without formal leave of absence (AWOL) shall have his registration
privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.

A leave of absence should be requested in a written petition to the Dean
through the College Secretary. The petition should state the reason for which
the leave is desired and should specify the period of the leave. The leave
should not exceed one year but may be renewed for at most for another year.

When not taken in two (2) successive years, the aggregate LOA should
not exceed two (2) years.

A student who needs to go on leave of absence (LOA) beyond the allowable
period of two years should be advised to apply for an honorable dismissal
without prejudice to readmission.

The college, through the Dean or his duly authorized representative, shall
inform the University Registrar and the parents/guardian of every student
granted the leave of absence about such leave, indicating the reasons for the
same and the amount of money refunded to the student.

For leave of absence availed of during the second half of the semester,
the faculty members concerned shall be required to indicate the class standing
of the student (passing or failing) at the time of the application for the leave. No
application for leave of absence shall be approved without indicating the student’s
class standing by the instructors concerned. This, however, should not
be entered in the Official Report of Grades.

If a student withdraws after 3/4 of the total number of hours prescribed for
the course has already elapsed, his instructor may give him a grade of ‘5’ if his
class standing up to the time of his withdrawal was below ‘3’.

No leave of absence shall be granted later than two weeks before
the last day of classes during the semester. If the inability of the student to
continue with his classes is due to illness or similar justifiable causes, his absence
during this period shall be considered excused. In such case, the student
shall be required to present an excuse slip to the faculty members concerned.

Payment for leave of absence is P 150. A student who goes on leave
without filing a leave of absence (AWOL) pays P 225.

On the basis of the number of units completed, a student may be classified
as follows:

A student must finish the requirements of a course of any college within a
period of actual residence equivalent to 1 ½ times the normal length prescribed
for the course (6 years for Engineering program). Otherwise, he shall not
be allowed to register further in that college.

A student may, with the consent of his instructor and the Dean, drop a
course by filling out the prescribed UP Form before three-fourths (3/4) of the
hours prescribed for the semester term have elapsed, and not later.

Any student who drops a course without the approval of the Dean shall
have his registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.

If a course is dropped after the middle of the term, the faculty member
concerned shall indicate the date and the class standing of the student at the
time of dropping as either Passing or Failing solely for administrative guidance.
However, whether the student is passing or not, his grade for the course
will be indicated as ‘DRP’ unless the 20% absences rule applies to him (see
section on Attendance) and the majority of the absences are not excused.

If it is the intention of the student to drop a course, he should accomplish
the dropping slip immediately. If the student stops attending the courses without
the official dropping of the course, he takes the risk of getting a grade of
“5” on the basis of the 20 % absences rule.

Notwithstanding this University rule, the CEAT faculty adopted the general
policy of STRICT DROPPING especially if the student is failing in any of
the courses he registered due to unexcused absences. The exceptions to this
college rule are: (a) serious illness covering a period of more than two weeks
as certified by a duly licensed attending physician which must be authenticated
by the Director of the UPLB Health Service; (b) parent‘s written declaration of
their inability to maintain their child‘s continuing studies; and (c) any other reason
which may be declared highly meritorious by the College Committees on
Student Admission and Readmission and on Faculty, Staff and Students

A student may request to substitute a course in his curriculum for another
prescribed course but taken in another unit of the University. Every substitution
of subjects must be based on at least one of the following:

1. when a student is pursuing a curriculum that has been superseded by a
new one and the substitution tends to bring the old curriculum in line
with the new;
2. conflict of hours between two required subjects; or
3. when the required subject is not offered during the semester when the
student needs it.

In addition, every petition for substitution must :

1. involve subjects within the same department, if possible; if not, the two
subjects concerned must be allied to each other;
2. be between subjects in which the subject substituted carries a number of
units equal to or greater than the units of the required subject;
3. be recommended by the adviser and by the heads of the institute/ departments

All petition for substitution must be submitted to the Office of the Dean
concerned before 12 percent of the regular class meetings have been held.
Any petition submitted thereafter shall be considered for the following semester.

No substitution shall be allowed for any subject prescribed in the curriculum
in which the student has failed or received a grade of ‘5’ or an unremoved
grade of ‘4’, except when, in the opinion of the department offering the prescribed
subject, or of the faculty in units without any department, the proposed
substitute covers substantially the same subject matter as the required

All applications for substitution shall be acted upon by the Dean concerned.
In case the action of the Dean is adverse to the recommendation of
the adviser and the head of the department concerned, the student may appeal
to the Vice Chancellor for Instruction whose decision shall be final.

The UPLB University Council approved the following policies on enrollment
of thesis/practicum:

1. For undergraduate thesis/practicum (course 200/200a), the six (6) units total credit should be broken down
for registration each term in equal fractions of 2-2-2 or 3-3. 
2. A grade of “S” or “U” should be given at the end of each term while
work is in progress. Upon completion of the work (when the student is
ready to submit the required number of copies of the approved manuscript),
a numerical grade should be given instead of ‘S’ or ‘U’.
3. A student who has already registered a total of 6 units for undergraduate
but still unable to finish the work, should continue registering one (1)
unit per term until he/she is able to submit the copies of approved manuscript,
but only up to a maximum of 3 terms (2 semesters, 1 summer) for
undergraduate thesis/practicum.

If at the end of this time limit, the student is still unable to submit
copies of the approved manuscript, he/she shall be given a grade of “U”
and should re-enroll all the 6 units. The same policies as in the first
enrollment will apply in this case. However, a student who is a candidate for
graduation during the semester and/or only has thesis/practicum to
enroll, may be allowed to register the whole six (6) units total credit for
200/200a courses. (OC
Memorandum No. 124, Series of 2008, October 28, 2008)

The performance of the students shall be rated at the end of each semester
in accordance with the following grading system:

          A grade of “4” means “conditional”. It may be removed only by reex-amination taken within the prescribed time of one (1) academic year. If the stu-dent passes the reexamination, he shall be given a grade of “3”, but if he fails, a “5” shall be given. Only one reexamination is allowed. This must be taken within the prescribed time. If a student does not remove the grade of “4” within the prescribed time, the grade of “4” becomes “5”.

          In this case, he may earn credit for the same course only by repeating and passing it. A grade of “4” given for the first semester work of a two-semester course shall be converted to a grade of “3” if the student passes the second semester part of the same course in the same academic year; if he fails, the grade of “4” which he received for the first semester work shall be converted to a grade of “5”. (Please see New Policies on the Grade of “4” in the preceding section).

          The grade of “INC” is given if a student whose class standing throughout the semester is PASSING but fails to take the final examination or fails to complete other requirements for the course, due to illness or other valid reasons. In case the class standing is not passing and the student fails to take the final examination for any reason, a grade of “5” is given. Removal of the INC. must be done within the prescribed time by passing an examination or meeting all the requirements for the course, after which, the student shall be given a final grade based on his overall performance.

          A student who has received a passing grade in a given course is not al-lowed reexamination for the purpose of improving his grade.

          If a student withdraws after three-fourths of the semester has already passed (this coincides with the last day for dropping of courses), the Instructor shall indicate in the grade sheet under Final Grade “DRP” under Remarks “LOA”.

          However, if a student withdraws after three-fourths of the semester has already elapsed, the instructor may give him a grade of “5” if his class standing up to the time of his withdrawal was below “3”. If the instructor does not want to give him a grade of “5”, he merely indicates in the grade sheet under Final Grade “DRP” and under Remarks, “LOA”. [Art 402].

          No student is allowed to take any removal examination unless a Re-moval Permit is issued by the College Secretary and presented to the Professor/Instructor concerned. Removal permit must be secured from the Office of the College Secretary 5-7 days before the removal date.

          There shall be a regular period for removing grades of “4” and “INC.” before the start of each semester.

          Examinations for the removal of grades of “INC.” or “4” may be taken without fee: (1) during the regular examination period, if the subject is included in the schedule of examinations, and (2) during the removal examination peri-od, viz., the period covering ten days preceding the registration in each semes-ter during which period provided that the examination is taken at the time that it is scheduled.

          Removal examinations may be taken at other times on the recommenda-tion of the Dean and upon payment of a required fee per subject. Students not in residence shall pay the registration fee on top of the examination fee (where required) in order to be entitled to take the removal examination.

          A grade of “4” or “INC.” may no longer be improved after the end of the third regular removal period immediately following the semester/term in which the grade was incurred.

          A grade of “4” received after removing a grade of “INC.”, however, must be removed within the remaining portion of the prescribed period for the remov-al of the original grade of “INC.”


A student who obtains a grade of ‘4’ in a basic sequence in languages
(English, Filipino, Spanish) may enroll in the next higher course, subject to the
following conditions:

1. if he passes the higher course, he automatically removes the ‘4’ in the
lower course. His teacher in the lower course submits a removal grade
of ‘3’ for him.
2. if he fails in the higher course, he may still remove the ‘4’ in the lower
3. if he gets a ‘4’ in the higher course, he should take first a removal examination
in that course before taking a removal examination in the
lower course. If he fails the removal examination in the higher course,
he may take the removal examination in the lower course.

The Board of Regents approved the new policies on the removal of grade
of ‘4’ on its 1310th meeting on August 27, 2015. The revised guidelines are
effective 1st Semester 2015-2016 and are summarized below:

1. Remove ‘4’ by passing removal exam or re-enrolment in course
within the prescribed re-enrollment period.

2. Grade of ‘4’ is not included in the GWA computation when it is removed.
Only the grade of ‘3’ or ‘5’ is included in the GWA computation

3. The computation of GWA for ‘5’ from removal exam or automatically
incurred one-year period has lapsed, ‘5’ is included in the GWA computation.
When course is re-enrolled, new grade is also included.

4. Use actual grade (‘3’, ‘4’ until it is removed, or ‘5’) to compute GWA,
counting the subject once. This means that if the student gets a removal
grade of ‘5’, this grade is included in the computation of the GWA; the
grade the student gets after re-enrolling the course shall also be included
in the computation of the GWA.

University Scholarship. Any undergraduate student who obtains at the
end of the semester a weighted average of 1.45 or better, is given
this honorific scholarship. University scholars are listed in the Chancellor’s
List of Scholars.

College Scholarship. Any undergraduate student who, not being classed
as University scholar, obtains at the end of the semester a weighted
average of 1.75 or better, is given this honorific scholarship. College
Scholars are listed in the Dean’s List of Scholars.

Additional requirements for honorific scholarship. In addition to the
general weighted average prescribed, a student must have taken during the
previous semester at least 15 units of academic credit or the normal
load prescribed ; and must have no grade below 3 in any academic or
non-academic subject. [Art. 385,UP Code]

Honorific scholarships last for one semester, renewable for the succeeding
semester, if the student meets the prescribed conditions. Honorific
scholarships do not entitle the holders to any tuition fee waiver, either partial
or full.

For the purpose of determining the scholastic status of the students, a
grade of INC is not included in the computation of weighted average grade for
each semester or summer. When it is replaced by a final grade, the latter will
be included in the grades during the semester when the removal is made. The
grade of ‘4’ is counted until it is removed. Once removed, only the final grade of
‘3’ or ‘5’ is counted.

Warning. Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades
below 3 in 25 percent to 49 percent of the total number of academic units
for which he is registered will receive a warning from the Dean to improve
his work.

Probation. Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final
grades below 3 in 50 percent to 75 percent of the total number of academic
units in which he has final grades shall be placed on probation for
the succeeding semester and his load shall be limited to the extent to be
determined by the Dean.
his work.

Probation may be removed by passing with grades of 3 or better in
more than 50 percent of the units in which he has final grades in the succeeding

♦ Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades
below 3 in more than 75 percent but less than 100 percent of the
total number of academic units in which he receives final grades shall
be dropped from the rolls of the college. Grades of INC incurred because
of failure to complete the course requirement due to illness or
similar valid reasons shall not be counted against the student; provided,
that the documents establishing veracity of the cause for failure
to complete such requirements are submitted to the College Secretary
before the start of the regular registration of the following semester
excluding summer.

♦ Any student on probation who again fails in 50 percent or more
of the total number of units in which he receives final grades shall be
dropped from the rolls of the college, subject to the provisions of the
following article.

♦ Any student dropped from one college shall not ordinarily be admitted
to another unit of the University unless, in the opinion of the Dean of
Students, his natural aptitude and interest may qualify him in another
field of study in which case he may be allowed to enroll in the proper
college or department.

♦ Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades
below ‘3’ in 100 percent of the academic units in which he is given
final grades shall be permanently barred from readmission to any
college or school of the University.

♦ Any student who was dropped in accordance with the last item of the
rules on Dismissal and again fails which make it necessary to drop
him again, shall be not eligible for readmission to any college of the

♦ Permanent disqualification does not apply to cases where, on recommendations
of the instructors concerned, the faculty certifies that the
grades of ‘5’ were due to the student’s unauthorized dropping of the
subjects and not to poor scholarship. However, if the unauthorized
withdrawal takes place after the mid-semester and the student’s class
standing is poor, his grades of ‘5’ shall be counted against him for the
purpose of this scholarship rule. The Dean shall deal with these cases
on their individual merits in the light of the recommendations of the
Vice Chancellor for Instruction; provided, that, in no case of readmission
to the same or another college, shall the action be lighter than

At the end of every semester, students are required to check their grades
and scholastic status to determine if they are eligible to enroll on the following
semester. If a student is on probationary, Dismissed or on Permanently
Disqualified status, he/she can improve his/ her standing only on specified

If a student has incurred a grade of 4.00 or INC. with a probationary, dismissed
or permanently disqualified status, he can improve his academic standing
to be able to enroll the next semester only on the following periods:

Students who are dropped for reasons of double probation, dismissal
or permanent disqualification must first qualify for readmission
before they are allowed to register during the succeeding semester. Applications
for readmission are processed at the Office of Student Affairs.

No readmission of dismissed students or disqualified students shall be
considered by the College deans without the favorable recommendation of the
Dean of Students. Cases in which the action of the College Dean conflicts with
the recommendation of the Dean of Students may be elevated to the Vice
Chancellor for Instruction. His decision shall be final.

The list of documents and the procedure for readmission are posted in
the College Secretary‘s bulletin boards. Deadline for submission of documents
is listed in the academic calendar.

A student who wishes to transfer to another unit of the University should
file an application for transfer to the Dean. Transfer to another unit should be
requested in a written petition to the Dean, noted by the parents and endorsed
by his academic adviser and department chair/institute director. The petition
should state the reason for transfer and the desired course to be taken. If the
action of the Dean is favorable, the student may request a true copy of grades
from the College Secretary for submission to the accepting college/university. If
the action of the accepting college is favorable, the student gets a clearance,
which is presented to the accepting college together with the permit to transfer.

A student in good standing who desires to serve his connection with the
university shall present a written petition to this effect to the University Registrar,
signed by his parent or guardian. If the petition is granted, the student
shall be given honorable dismissal. Without such petition and favorable action,
no record of honorable dismissal shall be made.

Generally, honorable dismissal is voluntary withdrawal from the
University with consent of the University Registrar. All indebtedness to
the University must be adjusted before a statement of honorable dismissal
will be issued. The statement indicates that the student withdrew in good
standing as far as character and conduct are concerned. If the student has
been dropped from the rolls on account of poor scholarship, a statement to
that effect may be added to the honorable dismissal.

A student who leaves the University for reason of expulsion due to disciplinary
action shall be allowed to obtain his/her academic transcript of record
without reference to Dishonorable Dismissal, provided:
The student writes an application;

A. Not less than one (1) school year, beginning the school year immediately
following the effectivity of the expulsion decision has elapsed;
B. The party concerned, during the period of expulsion, has not been involved
in any untoward incident affecting the University, or been
charged in Court after the fiscal‘s investigation; and
C. All such applications are subject to Board of Regents action.

Section 5. Rule VII of the Revised Rules and Regulations Governing
Fraternities, Sororities, and other Organizations, however, provides that the
University Registrar shall make a permanent entry in the transcript of records
of the student the fact of his/her having been expelled or suspended
under the said rules. The student may not apply to have such entries deleted.

Educational field trip should be requested by the concerned Instructor in
a written petition to the Dean through the College Secretary four weeks before
the date of fieldtrip. The petition should be approved by the Chair and should
specify the date, destination and purpose of the trip. The list of students concerned
shall be attached in the petition together with the waiver of the university
responsibilities and group insurance policy.

The last day of holding educational field trip and other activities is listed in
the academic calendar

No student shall be recommended for graduation unless he has satisfied
all academic and other requirements prescribed thereto. The student shall
consult with the Office of the College Secretary for academic and nonacademic
Candidates for graduation who began their studies under a curriculum
which is more than 10 years old shall be governed by the following rules:

1. Those who had completed all the requirements of the curriculum but
did not apply for, nor were granted the corresponding degree or title
shall have their graduation approved as of the date they should have
originally graduated.

2. Those who had completed all but two or three subjects required by
a curriculum shall be made to follow any of the curricula enforced
from the time they first attended the University to the present.

During the first three weeks after the opening of classes in each semester,
each Dean or his duly authorized representative shall certify to the University
Registrar a list of candidates for graduation at the next commencement.
The University Registrar, in consultation with the chairmen of divisions or departments
concerned, in the case of students majoring in their respective departments
or divisions, shall then inquire into the academic record of each candidate
with a view of ascertaining whether any candidate in such a list has any
deficiency to make up for and whether he has fulfilled all other requirements
which qualify him to be a candidate for graduation. However, footnotes to that
effect should be given. Ten weeks before the end of a semester, the Registrar
shall publish a complete list of duly qualified candidates for graduation for that


The requirements for graduation include the completion of all academic
as well as non-academic requirements such as submission of bound copies of
the thesis, if thesis is required.
Students who have completed all requirements for graduation on or before the
deadline set for this purpose are listed as candidates for graduation as of the
end of that semester.
If, however, some graduation requirements are completed beyond the
deadline, the student must register during the succeeding semester in order to
be considered a candidate for graduation as of the end of that semester. The
deadline for completion of the requirements for graduation are:

♦ For those graduating as of the end of summer, the deadline is the
day before the first day of regular registration for the first semester.
♦ For those graduating as of the end of the first semester, the deadline
is the day before the first day of regular registration for the second
♦ For those graduating as of the end of the second semester, the deadline
is the day before the college/school faculty meeting to decide the
graduation of students.

All candidates for graduation must have their deficiencies made up
and their records cleared not later than five weeks before the end of their
last semester except those in academic subjects and in Physical Education
and Citizen Military Training in which the student is currently enrolled during
that semester.
No student shall graduate from the University unless he has completed at
least one year of residence work which may, however, be extended to a longer
period by the proper faculty. The residence work referred to must be done immediately
prior to graduation.
No student who fails to pay the required graduation fee within the
specified period set by the University Registrar shall be conferred any
title or degree. Such a student may, however, upon his request and payment
of the necessary fees, be given a certified copy of his credentials without specifying
his completion of the requirements toward any title or degree.


Instead of a separate application for graduation, graduating students
should check the appropriate box in their registration Form 5 to indicate
whether they are graduating or not at the end of the term. This information shall
serve as the basis for identifying candidates for graduation so that their records
can be checked early enough.


Students who have completed all the academic requirements for their
respective degrees may be recommended for graduation even if they have not
processed their clearance. However, the granting of honorable dismissal and
the issuance of the transcript checklist and diploma shall be withheld pending
submission of clearance by the student.


Students who complete their courses with the following absolute minimum
weighted average grade shall graduate with honors:

All the grades in all subjects prescribed in the curriculum, as well as subjects
that qualify as electives, shall be included in the computation of the
weighted average grade.
Furthermore, in cases where the electives taken are more than those
required in the program, the following procedure will be used in selecting the
electives to be included in the computation of the weighted average grade:

1. For students who did not shift programs, consider the required number
of elective in chronological order.
2. For students who shifted from one program to another, the electives to
be considered shall be selected according to the following order of
a. Electives taken in the program where the student is graduating
will be selected in chronological order.
b. Electives taken in the previous program and acceptable as
electives in the second program will be selected in chronological
c. Prescribed course taken in the previous program but qualify as
electives in the second program will be selected in chronological


Candidates for graduation with honors must have completed in the University
at least 75 percent of the total number of academic units or hours for
In the computation of the final average of candidates for graduation with
honors, only resident credits shall be included.
Students who are candidates for graduation with honors must have taken
during each semester not less than 15 units of credit or the normal load prescribed
in the curriculum. In cases where such normal load is less than 15 units, unless the lighter load was due to justifiable causes such as health reasons,
unavailability of courses needed in the curriculum to complete the full
load, or the fact that the candidate is a working student, students cannot be
considered for graduation with honors.

To justify under loading, the submission of the following documents is
For health reasons – medical certification to be confirmed by the University
Health Service.
For unavailability of courses – certification by the major adviser and copy
of schedule of classes.
For employment – copy of payroll and appointment papers indicating
among others duration of employment.

It is the responsibility of the student to establish beyond reasonable doubt
the veracity of the cause(s) of his light loading. It is required in this connection
that documents submitted to establish the cause(s) of his loading, such as certificate
of employment and/or medical certificate, must be sworn to. These
documents must be submitted during the semester of under loading.


Attendance in the general commencement exercises shall be optional.
Graduating students who choose not to participate in the general commencement
exercises must so inform their respective deans or their duly designated
representatives at least ten days before the commencement exercises.
Graduating students who absent themselves from the general commencement
exercises shall obtain their diplomas, or certificates and transcripts of
records from the Office of the University Registrar provided that they comply
with the above provision and upon presentation of the receipt of payment of
the graduation fee and student’s clearance.

Academic attire. Candidates for graduation with degrees or titles which
require no less than four years of collegiate instruction shall be required to
wear academic attire during the baccalaureate service and commencement
exercises in accordance with the rules and regulations of the University.

Student records are confidential and information is released only at the
request of the student or of appropriate institutions. ―Partial transcripts are
not issued. Official transcript of records obtained from other institutions and
submitted to the University for admission and/or transfer of credit become part
of the student‘s permanent record and are issued as true copies with the UP

Application for transcript of records shall be filed at the Office of the
University Registrar upon presentation of the student clearance. A certain fee
for transcript preparation will be charged to the concerned party. Graduates
are encouraged to request for their transcripts as early as possible to avoid
unnecessary delay.